It’s National Nutrition Month, and what better way to ring it in than being the healthiest version of yourself that you can be? Whether your aim is to boost brain health, emotional well-being or overall health and wellness, it’s never too late or too early to start. “Health, fitness and overall well-being are so important for seniors to consider,” says Kelly Carroll, Director of Community Relations at YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens, offering Independent Living with Supportive Services, Assisted Living and Memory Care in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. “Not only is it good for the body, but it’s beneficial to the mind. Exercise, a healthy diet and social interaction have the power to boost your mood, decrease depression, increase independence and lessen the chances of memory loss and an array of other diseases, that’s why it’s crucial to do what you can to implement a good routine.”
How You Can Boost Your Wellness and Be Healthy
No matter what your age or abilities, it’s possible to create a healthy lifestyle full of enriching experiences, healthy meals, exercise and engagement. Consider some of the following ways that you can boost your health and wellness on a daily basis:
- Maintain a healthy weight. When we are overweight, we are more likely to get sick, feel tired and get depressed. Try to manage your weight by eating healthier meals and exercising.
- Adapt your routine to include exercise. Although at times exercise can be tedious, it’s important to include it in your daily routine to maintain a healthy lifestyle. If you are finding it too hard to find motivation to exercise, consider joining a fitness class or gym, walking with a friend or trying a new activity such as yoga. Once you find a form of exercise you enjoy, you may be more likely to continue it and boost your health as a result.
- Take a break to focus on mental health. Mental health is just as important as physical health. If you are depressed, or often anxious or stressed, consider a form of meditation or take some time to do the things you are passionate about. This can help to calm and relax you, free your mind and increase your happiness.
- Socialize with others. Sometimes improved health boils down to communication, interaction and engagement. If you find that you are often at home by yourself, bored or lonely, visit a local senior living community or senior center and join in some of their activities. Making some new friends, discovering new passions and trying something different than your everyday, normal routine can not only increase happiness and health, but it can also boost your brain health and create a more positive mindset.
- Get healthy by getting outside. Sunshine not only boosts happiness and increases vitamin D levels, but it can encourage you to socialize with others and be more active. Go for a walk in nature, take up gardening or simply meet friends for coffee outdoors.
- Challenge your mind. Whether you enjoy reading, puzzles, dancing or even working with your hands, try to do something that engages your mind and challenges you to be healthy. Take up a new hobby, enroll in a class at a local university, decide to teach a class about something you love at a senior living community. The choices are endless and so are the benefits.
- Eat healthy meals. Many seniors who live alone tend to not want to cook a big dinner for themselves. This can sometimes lead to eating quick meals full of sodium, unhealthy ingredients and added fats and sugars. Instead of reaching for the quickest and cheapest options, try to meal plan and stock up on quick, easy and healthy ideas. Chicken tacos, salmon, asparagus and potato foil packs and even crock-pot meals can provide an easy but healthy meal choice.
If you need some guidance to get your health back on the right foot, or for tips to put some extra pep in your step, the team at YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens is here to help. To attend an event, experience our programming or enjoy a delicious and nutritious meal, contact us today!
Inspired • Engaged • Fulfilled
Offering Independent Living with Supportive Services, Assisted Living and Memory Care, YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens was designed specifically with residents in mind. We know your life is shaped by family, friends, hobbies, passions and more, so we’ve created a community where you can enjoy comfort, independence and engagement, all while having the peace of mind of 24-hour support and the freedom to define your own lifestyle. Here, we shape each thing we do around you, from your routines and interests to your choices and preferences, to create an inspiring lifestyle that fits YourLife™ perfectly. Because we are completely shaped around you, our residents get more of out their lives. With exceptional care delivered by a dedicated and compassionate team and a fulfilling lifestyle full of choice and convenience, residents have the support they need to live as independently and engaged as possible. Each day holds something new for residents. Whether they are enjoying our exclusive activities, learning something new or simply engaging in our YourStory programming, we create an individual experience centered around each resident. Do you enjoy making new discoveries and trying new hobbies, simply want to continue the hobbies you love or enjoy some time to yourself to relax? At YourLife™ of Palm Beach Gardens, the choice is up to you. Contact us to learn more! Call us at 561-246-6102 for more information or to schedule a personal visit today.